Building wealth is difficult. Making sure your wealth is put to good use, today and in the future can be even harder. Creating a trust is not just about passing on your wealth. It’s about protecting and providing for the ones you love, and seeing your vision for the future fulfilled. As your professional trustee we provide personal, focused and knowledgeable service. We offer you peace of mind that the vision for your estate that you set now will be honored for years to come.
the value of a professional trustee
Entrusting the management of your trust to someone else can be daunting. While a family member may seem like the obvious choice as trustee, trust management can be a complex, time-consuming and highly administrative task.
As professional trustees, we can review your estate plan created by your attorney. You can rest assured we will manage your trust with care, ensuring that your assets are protected and used for the good of your beneficiaries.
What is a Trust
A trust is a legal agreement between you and your trustee outlining how your assets are to be managed and distribution to your beneficiaries. There are many different types of trusts, each with different benefits and constraints to the creator of the trust and the beneficiaries. These include:
- Revocable Living Trusts
- Irrevocable Trusts
- Supplemental Care (or Special Needs) Trusts
- Court Supervised Trusts
- Testamentary Trusts
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Life Insurance Trusts
Your Estate Planning attorney, not Northwest Trustee, will create the documents for your trust. We can provide a complimentary, independent review, if we are required in those documents.
What we do as trustee
While there are many types of trusts, our duties as trustee are similar for each.
- We assist in structuring and funding your trust, and developing investment objectives. This is done in collaboration with you and your advisors, and takes into account the specific needs and changing circumstances of your beneficiaries over their lifetime.
- We hold, manage and safeguard your assets. We work closely with your personal investment advisor, carefully monitoring the performance of the investments they make. This impartial and objective management safeguards your assets. Those assets may also include farms, commercial property, real estate, and other unusual or non-liquid assets. Find out more about how we manage assets.
- We manage healthcare if required. When healthcare is required we work with both the individual affected and medical professionals to create a plan for care. Along with financial support, we personally oversee the selection of caregivers. We also supervise the tracking of their care and progress on a recurring basis.
- We complete all administration associated with the trust. This covers all financial administration including regular reporting and filing tax returns, as well as tracking all trust events and action items. Under court-supervised trusts, we report to the court on an annual basis. Find out more about our reporting
We will also act as co-trustee or alternate trustee if required.